October 4-10 is Fire Prevention Week! This year, we are focusing on Fire Safety in the Kitchen
Cooking fire facts
Based on 2013-2017 annual averages:
- Cooking equipment is the leading cause of home* fires and fire injuries, causing 49% of home fires that resulted in 21% of the home fire deaths and 45% of the injuries.
- Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
- Clothing is the item first ignited in less than 1% of these fires, but clothing ignitions lead to 14% of the home cooking equipment fire deaths.
- Ranges or cooktops account for almost two-thirds (62%) of home cooking fire incidents.
- Unattended equipment is a factor in one-third (31%) of reported home cooking fires and half (48%) of the associated deaths.
- Frying dominates the cooking fire problem.
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.