On January 22, 2020 the Cicero Fire and Police Commission announced the eligibility test for the Cicero Fire Department. Due to recent (January 23, 2020) negotiations between the Town of Cicero and the Cicero Firefighters Local 717 the requirements for hiring have been modified. The new agreement calls for those who wish to test for the Cicero Fire Department to be certified as a firefighter and a licensed and certified paramedic. The rest of the notice including dates will remain the same. Questions may be answered by email at pfcommission@thetownofcicero.
Cicero Fire Department Testing Announcement
The Cicero Fire Department participates in a comprehensive testing process conducted by the Cicero Fire and Police Commission in order to prepare an eligibility list of qualified candidates for the fire department. The current eligibility list expires on 18 April 2020 and the process for creating a new list will begin on 14 March 2020 (see instructions below for further information).
The qualification requirements for participating in the process are:
- 21 to 35 years of age at time of application
- Be a US citizen
- Speak, read and write the English language
- 30 college credit hours (applicants with one-year active military duty or current firefighter certification may receive a waiver of the college credits. Bring DD 214 or state certificate, if applicable to you.)
- Valid driver’s license (Illinois preferred or ability to qualify for Illinois Driver’s License)
- No criminal background
- Valid current Candidate Physical Ability Test card (CPAT). You must obtain the CPAT card on your own, the Town of Cicero Fire and Police Commission will not be participating in the physical agility testing of candidates. CPAT info is readily available online, to locate testing agencies.
- Provide an active (regularly monitored) email address. All further communication will be by email.
ONLY 250 APPLICATIONS WILL BE DISTRIBUTED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.
The testing process is strenuous and time-consuming. Applicants must attend all events in person with photo identification. After reviewing the below calendar, if you are unable to attend all events or do not possess the above qualifications please do not attempt to pick up an application, you will only be refused participation.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS – doors will be closed and admittance refused after posted start time for all events with the exception of application return dates at which time doors will be closed at the posted end time.
14 March 2020, 10:00 noon to 4:00 PM or until 250 applications have been distributed. Please bring copies of the following documents at this time; birth certificate or naturalization papers, college transcript, driver’s license, DD 214 or firefighter certificate if applicable. Passport size color photo, valid email address. At Public Safety Building, 5410 W 34 St.
26, 27 March 2020 from 5:00 pm until 9:00 pm or 28 March from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Applications are to be returned for approval and acceptance. A $50 money order or certified check will be required at this time payable to the Town of Cicero (no cash or personal checks accepted). At Public Safety Building, 5410 W 34 St.
06 April 2020, 7:00 pm. Orientation at the Cicero Community Center gym. 2250 S 49 Ave. Parking available in the facility at the southeast corner of town hall campus.
25 April 2020, 9:00 am. Written test, a score of 70 is required to continue. No electronic devices of any kind will be allowed in the facility. At Cicero Community Center gym.
12-13 May 2018 at 5:00 pm. Oral interviews for those who have passed the written exam. Qualified applicants will be notified of the appointment date and time. At Cicero Community Center, room 105.
Public Safety Building Cicero Community Center
5410 W 34 St. 2250 S 49 Ave.
There is adequate parking at both facilities.
The application contains 18 pages; please make sure you have 18 pages before you leave the building. Incomplete applications will not be accepted and may exclude you from continuing in the process.
The Cicero Fire and Police Commission will be setting a cut-off point for continued testing after the written portion of the test. The applicants who have passed the written test with a 70% or higher but are below the cutoff point will be placed on a reserve list and used as needed.
The Cicero Fire and Police Commission is requiting a current CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) card. Please bring a copy of the card when returning the application. The CPAT must have been issued after 28 March 2019.
The Cicero Fire and Police Commission will award performance points to applicants with a DD214 showing one year of active military duty and to applicants who supply a copy of current certification as an FFII issued by the Office of the Illinois Fire Marshall. Please provide a copy of the document when you return the application if this is applicable to you. The FPC will also be awarding points for applicants who are Cicero residents, proof of residency is required. You must bring copies of all of the documents listed when returning the application.
- Copy of proof of citizenship, you must be a U.S. citizen. Birth certificate or naturalization.
- College transcript showing 30 completed college credits (one year active duty or firefighter certification to waive). Bring the appropriate document. If you have doubts, bring them all.
- Copy of driver’s license.
- Copy of DD214 and/or State Fire Marshall Certificate if applicable.
- COPY OF CURRENT CPAT CARD. Card must have been issued after 28 March 2019.
- Supply a currently active and regularly monitored email address. All further communication will be by email.
****THERE ARE THREE (3) PAGES AT THE END OF THE APPLICATION THAT MUST BE NOTARIZED****